ENROLLLMENT FOR NEXT SESSION IS MAY 1, 2019
JOIN OUR EMAIL LIST & STAY IN TOUCH
EXPERIENCE THE MAGIC OF DRUMMING!
Learn the Secrets that took me from an OK drummer to a Grammy Nominee. It doesn’t take special talent. Simply follow my proven process and you’ll be shocked at how far you will come in just four months!
IT'S TIME TO REALIZE YOUR TRUE POTENTIAL AS A FRAME DRUMMER!
Imagine picking up your drum, stretching out your fingers, and when you start to play, a beautiful rhythm fills the air.
Wondering if this program is right for you?
It is if you answer “Yes” to any of these questions...
- Do you Crave more CHALLENGING Frame Drum TECHNIQUES, TIPS, RHYTHMS, COMPOSITIONS?
- Do you Wish to Learn crafty Techniques to IMPROVISE, JAM & COMPOSE Freely in ANY Meter?
- Curious about Indian Rhythm, Solkattu, and practices that will ENERGIZE your playing skills?
- Do you Desire the REPERTOIRE, SKILLSET & INSPIRATION to share DRUMMING in your Community? In your Professional Work?
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR DRUM JOURNEY!
If your'e reading this, you must have some experience playing the frame drum, and are desiring to...
- DEEPEN your existing Frame Drum Practice & Musicianship Skills.
- LEARN new Extended Playing Techniques in the 3 respectful frame drum playing styles (lap, upright and free-hand.)
- DISCOVER how to apply these NEW techniques in NEW GROOVES and COMPOSITIONS!
- PLAY, IMPROVISE and COMPOSE EASILY in any meter.
- SHARE THE DRUM in your community (ie performing, drum circle facilitation, in your professional work, or...)
- SING, MOVE & USE FOOTBELLS while playing the frame drum.
OUR GRADUATES are playing in groups, teaching workshops, facilitating drum circles, composing their own songs, incorporating drumming in their professional work, and the list goes on....
OUR GRADUATES are healers, therapists, drum circle facilitators, musicians, coaches, yoga teachers, nurses, teachers, sacred circle leaders, and the list goes on...
LISTEN TO SOME OF OUR GRADS PLAY:
An Intermediate Level Frame Drum College Course
(w/ a spiritual twist)
at an affordable cost!
HOW HAVING SUPPORITVE MENTORS HELPED TAKE ME TO THE NEXT LEVEL IN MY PLAYING!!
Life is a beautfiul journey, especially when you hear the call to do something you love AND take action. I am so very fortunate to spend over a decade studying with some of today’s incredible MASTERS of Rhythm (see teacher list below).
In all honesty, I would have been NO WHERE without the guidance of my music mentors.
Not only were my teachers phenomenal musicians, they were also very supportive and encouraging mentors!
My teachers explained drumming techniques and rhythm skills clearly and demonstrated how to apply these drumming skills into modern day practices of performing and teaching.
My teachers inspired confidence, clarity, enthusiasm, wisdom, and 100% support in my drum journey.
Even on the days that I felt my playing was not improving, my teachers reminded me to pay attention to the small improvments that were happening, rather then get impatient or compare myself to others.
My teachers inspired me to teach and perform after only a few years of training.
I have been teaching music since I was 15, yet began teaching drumming when I was a Graduate Student at Calarts subbing in John Bergamo's hand drum classes. These precious days with my mentor (John Bergamo), fueled the strong PASSION I now have for helping others learn drumming!
I AM HONORED, EXCITED AND DEEPLY COMMITED TO BE YOUR MENTOR & INSPIRE YOU TO REACH BEYOND YOUR DRUMMING DREAMS - LETS BEGIN!
My Program is the Simplest Way To Learn WHILE Having More FUN Than You Can Imagine!
Frame Drum 202 is a 4 Module/4 Month Intermediate Level Comprehensive Premium Training Program.
PREREQUISITE: This program is thoughtfully designed for the student who has had at least one year playing experience AND who is also familiar with the basic playing strokes (doum, tak, ka and pa), and a few extended techniques (single and double snapping, brushing), in all 3 playing styles (lap style, upright, and free- hand).
THE PROGRAM FEATURES 4 CORE LEARNING MODULES:
- MODULE 1 - Free Hand Frame Drum Style
- MODULE 2 - Lap Style Frame Drumming
- MODULE 3 - Upright Style Frame Drumming
- MODULE 4 - Composing, Improvising, Solkattu & Indian Rhythm Skills
SPECIAL GIFTS (BONUS VIDEOS): We realize that many of you may be unfamiliar with the incredible Indian Music Practices of Solkattu (MODULE 4). Therefore as a special gift, we have included some basic Solkattu videos from the Frame Drum 101 Program which provides the necessary foundation to enable new students who are unfamiliar with this material to effectively participate in the program.
You will receive a Video Download (with 1-18 videos in each downlaod) every week, for 16 WEEKS! Each lesson builds upon the next. Programs are open to both men and women.
Having completed this program, you will gain confidence and proper skillset to PLAY, IMPROVISE & COMPOSE in the INTERMEDIATE LEVEL - with EASE and FLUIDITY in various meters - in all 3 Frame Drum Styles.
You will also acquire the inspiration & repertoire needed to SHARE your drumming gifts with others!
225+ Videos of Dynamic Rhythmic Inspiration Awaits...
(Please see full course outline below)
- Over 225 Instructional Videos that you can enjoy on our website, or download to your computer.
- Intermediate Level Extended Techniques for the Frame Drum in all 3 Playing Styles.
- Essential Musicianship Skills, 202 Level
- Traditional World Rhythms & Original Grooves, 202 Level
- Inspiring Intermediate Level Drum Compositions (weaving in some voice, movement & footbells)
- Invigorating Improvisation Techniques, 202 Level
- Composing Techinques to Create your Own Rhythms/Music, 202 Level
- Solkattu & Inspiring Indian Rhythm Skills, Intermediate Level
- Four Live Q& A Sessions
- Four Special Bonus Modules
- Private Facebook Group Community Support
- Motivating Weekly Homework Assignments & Challenges
- Lifetime Access to FULL Program!
- Designed as a "Go At Your Own Pace" study program, enjoy our videos ANYWHERE, ANYTIME!
*images above also from Layne's book.
History shows us that the frame drum started as a women's drumming tradition in ancient cultures worldwide.
The frame drum was the primary tool of transformation that Shamans and High Priestesses of the ancient world used to access altered states of consciousness, facilitate rituals and sacred rites of passages.
In today's society, both men and women commonly play the frame drum. It is a great accompaniment for chanting, belly dancing, drum circles, personal healing, sound therapy AND it is commonly used in folk, world & rock music. It is medicine for your body, mind and spirit, AND it is simply a lot of FUN!
"Rhythm is a means of organizing sound into formulas to harmonize the mind and body"
- Layne Redmond, When the Drummers Were Women
Is Frame Drum 202 a Good Fit for my Playing Level?
"The object of education is to teach us to love what is beautiful."
If you are unsure whether you belong in Frame Drum 101 or Frame Drum 202:
- IMPORTANT: Please review the course outline below. If you DO NOT know most of the topics, it is suggested you take Frame Drum 101.
- Why? Frame Drum 202 builds upon techniques covered in Frame Drum 101, and it is VERY important to have competence in the topics covered in Frame Drum 101 before graduating to the next level.
- If you have some experience playing and know MOST of the techniques mentioned in Frame Drum 101, but not all of them, it is suggested you take Frame Drum 202 and further enroll in our VIP Membership, to help get you caught up!
- I will also briefly go over some of the extended techniques taught in Frame Drum 101 during our Frame Drum 202 Videos. You may also ask specific questions during the live Q&A Sessions.
- If you need any further help deciding which program is best for you, please contact Marla.
ARE YOU A TOTAL FRAME DRUM
Is Frame Drumming a Deep Passion of yours?
Do you desire to learn as much as possible?
If you truly wish to deepen your understanding of Frame Drumming, we have the PERFECT option for you! Please check out our Frame Drum 101 & Frame Drum 202 BUNDLE COURSE PACKAGE , where you can enjoy both programs at a deeply DISCOUNTED rate!
Frame Drum 202 Modules & Bonuses
MODULE 1 - Free Hand Frame Drumming, Level 2
SPECIAL BONUS VIDEO SERIES: Free Hand Style Basics -from the Frame Drum 101 Course. (4 Videos)
Week #1: 8 Beat Finger Roll Combination Patterns using Footbells, Speed Changes, and Solkattu. (17 videos)
Week #2: 6 Beat Finger Roll Combination Patterns using Footbells, Speed Changes, and Solkattu. (11 videos)
Week #3: 7 Beat Finger Roll Combination Patterns using Footbells, Speed Changes, and Solkattu. (11 videos)
Week #4: Get Groovin': Learn a Composition Combining all Techniques Learned (Video count tba)
MODULE 2 - Lap Style Frame Drumming, Level 2
Week #1: North Indian split-hand “tete” technique.(17 Videos)
Week #2: Combining Patterns using Jazz Rolls, Split Hand Technique and Solkattu Phrasing with Footbells! (14 Videos)
Week #3: Become a Snapping Rockstar: Double, Triple and Quadruple Snapping Technique & Practice Rhythms (13 Videos)
Week #4: Get Groovin': Learn a Composition Combining all Techniques (Video count tba)
MODULE 3 - Upright Style Frame Drumming, Level 2
Week #1: 8 Beat Finger Roll Techniques & Practice Rhythms integrating Solkattu, Foot Bells and Stepping Patterns (14 Videos)
Week #2: 6 Beat Finger Roll Techniques & Practice Rhythms integrating Solkattu, Footbells and Stepping Patterns (17 Videos)
Week #3: Combining 6 + 8 Beat Finger Rolls in Odd Metered Practice Rhythms integrating Solkattu, Footbells and Stepping Patterns (18 Videos)
Week #4: Get Groovin': Learn a Composition Combining all Techniques Learned (Video count tba)
MODULE 4 - Solkattu, Indian Rhythm Skills, Composing & Improvisation, Level 2
Week #1: Solkattu/Indian Rhythmic Theory Magic – Tihais in Teental/16 Beat Time Cycle
Week #2: Introduction to Solkattu & Tihai in a 5-Beat Time Cycle with Practice Exercises
Week #3: Introduction to Solkattu & Tihai in a 7-Beat Time Cycle with Practice Exercises
Week #4: “Share the Drum" Graduation Challenge Practice & Submission Week! (1 Video)
PLUS, SPECIAL BONUS VIDEOS FROM FRAME DRUM 101 PROGRAM:
BONUS #1: Introduction to the Art of Indian Music (4 Videos)
BONUS #2: Introduction to the Magic of Solkattu & Improvising in a 4 Beat Time Cycle!
BONUS #3: Introduction to the Magic of Solkattu & Improvising Exercises in 5 Beat Time Cycle (8 Videos)
BONUS #4: Introduction to the Magic of Solkattu Exercises & Improvisation in 7 Beat Time Cycle (9 Videos)
FOUR LIVE Q&A SESSIONS & PRIVATE FACEBOOK GROUP
STAY CONNECTED & STAY INSPIRED!
OUR LIVE Q&A CALLS:
Every module, Marla will host one special LIVE Q&A call to answer any questions about the material being taught. (Please see our Live Q&A dates below)
You will receive a special link for the calls in your welcome email (they are an easy to use platform).
Need to miss a call? All calls will be recorded, so if you have to miss a call you can email your questions to Marla 24 hours before the scheduled call, and listen to her personal response during the replay.
PLEASE NOTE: It is not essential you attend the Live Q&A Calls, but we do suggest to at least listen to the playback recordings for further inspiration!
OUR ACADEMY PRIVATE FACEBOOK GROUP
Inspiration is achieved best from our peers! In our special private Facebook group, you can stay inspired 24/7 from other like-minded frame drum seekers from around the world!
PLEASE NOTE: All Teachings will be done on our video downloads. If you are not on Facebook, you will NOT miss anything in the course.
BONUS #1 - Drumming Essentials Video Training Series!
GET STARTED ON TRACK:
This action packed Video Training Series covers ALL YOUR DRUMMING ESSENTIALS!
SOME TOPICS COVERED:
- How to use a Metranome
- Goal Setting
- Drum Care & Tuning
- How to Create a Practice Routine that works!
- Understanding Speed Cycles
- How to Read & Notate Drum Music
BONUS #2 - The Rhythm Vault!
THIS ESSENTIAL RHYTHM VAULT WILL KEEP YOU INSPIRED & GROOVIN FOR LIFETIME!
Enjoy ENDLESS practicing fun, with rhythms you can use for inspiration for Performing Teaching & Composing!
INCLUDED IN THIS MODULE:
- Marla's Favorite Traditional World Rhythms Guidebook. (pdf)
- New Videos by Marla of fun rhythms to explore - to be posted throughout the Program!
- Websites & Videos of Cool Grooves to learn - to be posted throughout the Program.
BONUS #3 - Guest Speaker Live Q&A Sessions!
GET INSPIRED FROM OTHER SPECIALISTS, 2018 GUEST SPEAKERS INCLUDE:
Guest Speaker #1 - PATRICK COOPERMAN (of Cooperman Frame Drums) - Enjoy a sneak peak into the Cooperman factory where Patrick will answer any questions you may have about their beautiful drums!
Guest Speaker #2 - CHRISTINE STEVENS - Christine is author of “Music Medicine” and “The Healing Drumkit”. She will discuss the power of drumming for health and spirituality.
Guest Speaker #3 - JIM SANTI OWEN – Jim is a specialist in North & South Indian Drumming. Jim will teach spicy South and North Indian Rhythms, and cool tips and tricks that we can apply to frame drumming.
BONUS #4 - Drumming & Wellness Module!
GET INSPIRED ~ DRUMMING IS A HEALING ARTFORM!
This Module Features:
THERAPEUTIC STRETCH ROUTINE - ALL LEVELS (Featured Video): Enjoy this gentle yoga stretch practice that you can do either before or after you play (suitable for all levels). This stretch sequence was created specifically for our FDA Students by acclaimed teacher, AnnMarie Soul.
DEEP LISTENING: Enjoy recommended music tracks recorded in Theta Waves -to endure relaxation, brain power, focus and calmness.
LEARNING LIBRARY: Enjoy vast library of Videos on our favorite topics: Drumming & Wellness.
Our Mantra: “This program is easy to use, even if you have limited internet experience.”
- The FIRST video you receive is an instructional video that walks you through how to view the videos; This is easy to use, I PROMISE!
- You will receive b/w 1-18 Videos - EVERY WEEK for four months (see "video schedule" below)
- You can watch the videos on our website OR download them to your computer.
- THE VIDEOS ARE VERY EASY TO VIEW ON OUR WEBSITE (or download) - I PROMISE!
PLEASE NOTE: The program is designed to be a "learn at your own pace" program. Therefore, if you are traveling or busy, you may download the videos to your computer/pad/phone and enjoy ANYTIME, ANYWHERE!
LIVE Q&A CALLS:
- The Live Q&A Calls are opportunities for you to ask any questions about material being taught!
- If you cannot join, but have a question, simply email me your questions and I will answer them in the call.
- All LIVE Q&A Calls will be recorded, and playbacks posted in our Academy website, for you to enjoy ANYTIME.
PLEASE NOTE: It is not essential to attend these calls. They are there for you only if you would like additional support.
PRIVATE FACEBOOK GROUP:
- Our Private FBK Group is a great place to meet like-minded Drum Seekers from around the world.
- Students post grooves and drum inspiration on this page 24/7.
PLEASE NOTE: If you do not have a FACEBOOK ACCOUNT, you will NOT miss anything in the program! All core teachings are done in the video downloads!
Get Inspired: Video Testimonial, ft 2018 Academy Grads!
When You Graduate from Frame Drum 202, You Will ...
Further develop your Essential Technique Toolkit! You will have lifetime access to a library of over 225 clearly guided instructional videos that teach you the essential EXTENDED techniques, in all THREE playing styles!
After completing Frame Drum 202, you will gain the Focus, Confidence and Discipline needed to Play, Improvise, and Compose at the INTERMEDIATE level! NOW is the time to expand your skills and become a fearless DRUM WARRIOR!
You will gain the tools to feel confident to compose and improvise in ANY meter, however intricate or overwhelming the cycles may initially sound (5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19...).
You will leave this program feeling empowered to share your DRUMMING GIFTS! (i.e. lead a Drum Circle, play in an ensemble, teach a workshop, incorporate drumming in your professional work, compose music, drum for sound healings, Shamanic journeys, and the list goes on...)
The program may be over in four months, but your frame drum study is not. With our LIFETIME access policy, you can view all the videos forever. A wealth of rhythmic inspiration at your fingertips, anytime!
Understand intermediate level key music concepts such as how to: EASILY improvise in complex meters, drum while tapping syncopating patterns with footbells, weave in the voice with the drum, and read and notate rhythms. You will also learn to recite Indian "rhythm mantras" (ie. solkattu phrases) while drumming in different time cycles, compose your own drum songs, and MUCH more.
Further deepen your “Drum Warrior Training" by using my proven “technical” and “spiritual” drum practice routines. Gain a rock-solid, focused, and thorough frame drum and music training that will remain with you for your lifetime (that is, of course, if you continue to practice, lol.)
Learn INTERMEDIATE Level Frame Drum compositions that feature playing techniques taught directly from the course. We will also weave the frame drum with footbell patterns, movement and songs.
GREAT repertoire to practice with, as well as teach or perform in your community.
Everyone is a composer. Let's create magic! Experience writing your OWN rhythms and drum songs! So deeply satisfying, try it and you will see!
Enjoy endless practice sessions with your essential WORLD GROOVE TOOLKIT. This toolkit features traditional rhythms from the Middle East, North Africa and Greece, as well as trance and meditative rhythms. (Bonus Module)
I have carefully designed this program to get you drumming beyond your dreams in just four months!
I will also be available on our private Facebook Group, Live Q&A Calls to answer any questions you may have!
Inspiration is achieved best from our peers! In our special private Frame Drum Academy Facebook group, you can easily stay inspired 24/7 from other like-minded frame drum seekers from around the world! Post a new rhythm, ask a question, find a new drum buddy…
Drumming is a Healer! Through combining meditative frame drum grooves with footbell patterns, songs, movement and meditation practices, you will enter the world of "rhythmic entrainment" - a calm "theta” state of consciousness. This is a great place to be! You will also get spiritually inspired in our “Drumming & Wellness” – Special Bonus Module.
Drumming is a (gentle) physical sport. In-joy a yoga practice designed specifically for our students of Frame Drum Academy. This practice focuses on releasing the upper back, lower back and stretching the arms and hands! Great to do before AND after you drum. (gentle, suitable for all levels). This video is taught by Yoga Specialist, Annmarie Soul.
This special “Yoga For Frame Drummers” will be the featured video in our “Drumming & Wellness” Bonus Module.
Some Benefits of Drumming...
5 Incredible, Little Known Benefits of Drumming. Which ones do YOU Want?
- DRUMMING CONTROLS STRESS, ANXIETY & BOOSTS IMMUNE SYSTEM- A study by Barry Bittman, MD, showed that drumming actually increases natural T-cells, which helps the body combat cancer as well as other viruses.
- DRUMMING IS A NATURAL PAIN KILLER - Drumming promotes the production of endorphins and endogenous opiates, the body's own morphine-like pain killers.
- DRUMMING SYNCRONIZES BRAIN ACCTIVITY & MAKES YOU SMARTER - Research shows that drumming helps syncronize the left (logica) and right (intuitive) brain hemispheres - resulting in your intuition becoming stronger.
- DRUMMING MAKES YOU HAPPY - Drumming is the "happy drug", as it releases endorphins and Alpha waves in the brain, which are associated with general feelings of well-being and euphoria.
- DRUMMING BRINGS YOU INTO THE PRESENT MOMENT - When you drum, you drop into the "here and now". When you are firmly grounded in the present moment, stressful situations in the past are forgotten and worries of the future are minimized. Now, doesnt that sound great!
“I consider Marla to be the one of the very top percussion performers in the US of today. She is well known in the percussion community for her performance virtuosity and artful skill with hand drums.”
4-Time Grammy Winning Percussionist, Marla's Mentor
- In need of custom tailored coaching to SKYROCKET your playing skills?
- Desire to COMPOSE, TEACH drum workshops, drum circles, PLAY in a band or DRUM in your professional work?
- Crave a STRONG drum, rhythm & music foundation?
If you answered YES to any one of these questions,
our VIP Membership Program is a great fit for you!
BRING THE ART OF RHYTHM TO LIFE WITH OUR CUSTOM-TAILORED DRUM PROGRAM.
VIP MEMBERSHIP PROGRAM INCLUDES:
- FULL ACCESS TO THE FRAME DRUM 202 PROGRAM:
(all VIP members receive full access to the Frame Drum 202 program described above.)
- IGNITE YOUR PASSION:
ONE 90 MINUTE CUSTOMIZED VIP PRIVATE TRAINING SESSION WITH MARLA
(must be redeemed by September 1, 2018.)
- In these special one-on-one sessions, Marla creates a custom lesson plan tailored specifically for your particular drumming goals, dreams and desires!
- SHARE YOUR GENIUS:
ONE 90 MINUTE SMALL GROUP VIP COACHING SESSION, IN TWO PARTS: (October date tba):
- THE FIRST PART OF THE CALL is dedicated to "Sharing the Drum" - An opportunity for students to teach/share something from the homework assignment they received during their private lesson (a rhythm, etc.).. Sharing in a small, supportive group like this will help students get off the drum fence and feel more confident to realize their drum goals.
- THE SECOND PART OF THE CALL is an opportunity for students to ask any technique/music related questions. Marla will also offer a bonus teaching. If you wish to not share anything and just listen in on this call, that is fine too.
- VIP Coaching call will be in October, and the date will be confirmed after the VIP students fill out their intake forms; We will find a date that matches everyone’s schedule!
- STAY INSPIRED:
FOLLOW UP EMAIL: The final part of the VIP Package includes email check in with Marla after the program ends. This is another opportuinty for students to ask any questions about drumming techinque and/or their particular drumming goals!
HOW THE VIP SESSIONS WORK:
- A PERSONALIZED "TAILORED FOR YOU" EXPERIENCE- The first week the program starts, you will get a “student intake” form to fill out that will help Marla create the best drum experience for your particular goals.
- OTHER POSSIBLE TEACHINGS: Facilitation rhythms, structure and tips for adult and children drum circles, frame drum workshops, sacred circles, Shamanic drum journeys and sound therapy sessions, drumming & chanting, composing tips (for hand drums and other instruments.) and flute (western, Native American.)
- OUR VIP MEMBERSHIP IS GREAT FOR: Students who wish to skyrocket their drumming and music skills, Yoga teachers, Therapists, Sound Healers, Coaches, Counselors, Music Teachers, Music Therapists, Sacred Circle Leaders, Musicians, and…
- We use a user-friendly online platforms for our lessons scheduling and sessions. All session are recorded and downloadable.
- VIP private session must be redeemed before September 1, 2018.
“Marla is world-renowned and has taught students worldwide through workshops, retreats and also online. A talented artist, she is anchored in beauty, love, and devotion! I highly recommend her.”
Author, Music Medicine, The Healing Drum Kit
“With her background and dedication, Marla is well positioned to make a significant contribution to world music in general, and frame drumming in particular”
Marla’s Mentor, Percussion Director Calarts
SCENES FROM THE INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS
SCENES FROM OUR LIVE Q&A CALLS
GRADUATION CHALLENGE & COOPERMAN DRUM RAFFLE!
RAFFLE TO WIN A COOPERMAN TYMPANUM DRUM!
Everyone who completes ALL of our "Share the Drum" Graduation Challenges (that will be explained in the program)- will be put into a RAFFLE to win a Cooperman TYMPANUM Drum. There is only one drum for this raffle - one lucky winner. The retail price of the drum is $350, which is almost the price of this program.
* The Winner for the Cooperman Drum will be announced November 15, 2018 (AFTER the program ends!)
* This model may not be exchanged for another type of Cooperman Drum model.
About the Tympanum Drum
This "Tympanum" drum was inspired by an ancient Roman mosaic depicting the Greek god Dionysus. Long associated with the cult of Cybele , this tympanum has a distinctive red goatskin drumhead, and employs knotted embellishments to facilitate ecstatic ritualistic drumming.
Here's what Marla's students are saying
"I went from not playing a musical instrument at all to drumming for my yoga classes in a couple of months. Not only has Marla and her Frame Drum Academy turned me into a musician; but I also have increased my confidence, my desire to share my talents with others, and my passion for music and rhythm. I cannot recommend this program enough!"
Meaghan Beishline, Pennsylvania
“I love studying with Marla. She is pure inspiration. Her Frame Drum Academy is super accessible and filled with tons of great learning. I The way Marla teaches frame drumming is all about body brain and soul! Lots of soul!”
Marilyn McLaughlin, Los Angeles
"Joining Marla’s Frame Drum Academy pushed me through the boundries – I now practice strokes in three different styles. It gives a lot more opportunities to combine with my songs.
Bodil Kreative Jorgenson, Finland
"Marla’s enthusiasm and heartfelt commitment to her students shone through every aspect of the program. The instructional videos were very clear and I love having lifelong access to the them."
Janis McCallen, Ontario, Canada
"Marla is the most wonderful teacher!! Everything is completely accessible and she breaks down the lessons so perfectly."
"Amazing detail & easy to follow.Highly Recommend. I was hesitant about how much I could learn online, but was pleasantly surprised how worthwhile the course was in improving my technique & playing."
Jennifer Thomas, Sydney, Australia
"Marla’s teaching is excellent and opened up so much for me."
Susan Freeman, Ohio
"I have been so impressed with Marla’s detailed, easily-digested online lessons that lead the student step by step through frame drumming and practice techniques. I highly recommend the Frame Drum Academy Online.”
Linda Schineder, Ohio
"I participated in Marla’s brilliantly presented Frame Drum 202. I work with the videos on a regular basis to learn new concepts and to refresh myself on more familiar techniques - Yet I have barely scratched the surface of the volume of techniques presented. I give this program 5 stars. No one has ever done anything this important for us who crave to learn this material."
Norma Kaplis, New York
"AMy experience with the Frame Drum Academy 101 and 202 has been amazing. The online courses are clear, easy to follow and a master class of technique and basics of frame drumming."
Sherry Belliveau , Florida
Marla Leigh Goldstein is a Grammy-nominated Percussionist and Flautist. She is one of the few female frame drum specialists in the world.
Marla is an internationally recognized educator and performer who has presented throughout the USA, Canada and Europe. She carries the gift of being an inspiring and energetic educator, and soulful, charismatic performer. Marla offers online learning programs, as well as workshops, retreats and clinics and concerts world wide.
Marla endorses Cooperman Frame Drums and has collaborated with them to create an Artist Innovation Series Drum - "The Marla Tar". She is also CEO of Frame Drum Online Academy, and online resource for learning frame drumming.
As a passionate and dedicated composer, Marla's original music has been featured in movies, commercials, and healing arts media products. She is currently working on writing music for her debut world music meditation album.
Marla's Training Includes:
- Bachelor of Fine Art in Music from California Institute of the Arts
- Master of Fine Art in Percussion from California Institute of the Arts
- Percusison Teachers: John Bergamo, Glen Velez, Pandit Swapan Chaudhuri, Poovlar Srinivasaan, Alfred Ladzekpo, Kobla Ladzekpo, Randy Gloss and Layne Redmond.
Gratitude to Marla's Drum Teachers!
(From L to R: John Bergamo, Glen Velez, Pandit Swapan Chadhuri, Poovalur Srinivasaan, Randy Gloss, Layne Redmond)
FRAME DRUM SIZE RECOMMENDATION & COOPERMAN SPONSORSHIP -10% DISCOUNT
If you were to suggest only ONE drum for this program, I recommend a 16" drum - It is the perfect size for playing in the 3 playing styles. Highly recommended (but not necessary) for the passionate drum student!
Other sizes will be fine for the program, but your hands may hurt if you're playing a bigger drum in the upright style (20"-22".) 16" Drums - All three styles! (Lap,Upright & Free Hand).
14"-16" Drums - Upright Style.
16"-22" Drums - Lap and Free Hand Styles.
Here are My Suggested Frame Drum Sizes:
Cooperman Drums is our sponsor. Of course, its not essential you play a Cooperman drum for the program, but they are great drum. All students recieve a 10% discount on a Cooperman drum (discount code given when you sign up).
Marla is an endorsed artist with Cooperman and has collaborated with them to create an Artist Innovative Series drum called The Marla Tar.
You can visit Marla's suggested drums for this program here.
Other brands of frame drums are fine to use. REMO sells good beginner 16" drums that you can purchase on Amazon.
*5% of All Program sales will be donated to UNICEF,
our children are the future!